Southwestern University

Established in 1951, Southwestern University prides itself as the first medical school outside Manila.

In its formative years, classroom instructions were conducted inthe pre-World War II residence of the university’s founders with fourteen (14) pioneering students and six (6) members of the faculty. As the university’s flagship program, it is now housed in a 7-storey building complete with advanced educational facilities and seamlessly integrated with the university’s training hospital, the SWU Medical.

 

The School of Medicine has a longstanding reputation for educating and training physicians from different parts of the world, shaping them to become world-class practitioners who foster groundbreaking innovations through research to continuously improve healthcare delivery.

 

- Doctor of Medicine (MD)

HISTORY OF COLLEGE 

In summer of 1946, when the Philippines was in the rehabilitation process after World War II, Southwestern University was founded with the name Southwestern Colleges. The founders were husband-and-wife pharmacists Matias Hipolito Chavez Aznar II and Anunciacion Barcenilla Aznar. Southwestern Colleges started with 18 faculty members and 509 students in three two-storey buildings on an approximately two-hectare lot. It had the following courses: elementary, high school (day and night classes), first two years of Arts and Sciences (Associate programs), Education and Commerce, and first-year Law. In the school year 1946–47, the Colleges of Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacy and the Graduate School were opened. The College of Nursing was added in school year 1948–1949.The school became a university on December11, 1959 with its formal inauguration and the investiture of the co-founder and second president Anunciacion Barcenilla Aznar on February 13, 1960. The school year 1959–1960 also started with two new courses: Engineering and Optometry.The college of optometry then became a world class education for primary eyecare physicians. lots of foreign students come to study optometry here, due to its outstanding education. The College of Medical Technology was opened in1962. Agriculture and Veterinary Medicine came after a few years. The latest colleges added were Computer Studies, Physical Therapy, Maritime, and Criminology. In 2009, the university had 20 colleges and departments.Southwestern University has continuously expanded its curricular offerings and its physical plant. The university now occupies more than 18 hectares. The Aznar Coliseum with a seating capacity of approximately 7,000–8,000 is the venue for sports and cultural activities.In April 23, 2015, the Aznar clan of Cebuhas given up the family’s flagship business as it completes the sale of 56.83percent share worth P1.9 billion of the seven decade old Southwestern University to publicly-listed conglomerate PHINMA Corporation, an investment firm with interests in including property, energy, education, and business process outsourcing.

 

 

PROGRAMS OFFERED Professional programs

  •          College of Dentistry
  •          College of Law
  •          College of Medicine
  •          College of Optometry
  •          Graduate School
  •          Doctorate degree programs
  •          Master's degree programs
  • Allied Medical
  •          College of Medical Technology
  •          College of Nursing
  •          College of Pharmacy
  •          College of Physical Therapy
  •          College of Veterinary Medicine
  • Non-allied Medical
  •          College of Arts & Sciences
  •          College of Computer Studies
  •          College of Criminology
  •          College of Education
  •          College of Engineering
  •          SWU Maritime Regiment
  •          School of Business
  • Basic Education
  •          K to 12
  • ContinuingEducation
  •          English Language Program
  •          Certified Public Education (CPE)
  •