Kharkiv Medical University

The Cagayan State University (CSU)

Kharkiv National Medical University formerlyknown as Kharkiv MedicalInstitute and Kharkiv State Medical University,is a medical university in Kharkiv, Ukraine.It was first known as Kharkivstate medical university.Post addresse: Prospekt Lenina, 4, Kharkiv,61022, Ukraine.Atpresent, over 700 teachers work at the departments of the university. Staffcapacity is 5 corresponding members NAMN Ukraine,17 Honoured Scientist of Ukraine, 2 Honored high school Ukraine, 13distinguished doctors of Ukraine, 8 winners of the State Prize of Ukraine inScience and Engineering, 28 academicians of the public academies of Ukraine, 28employees - Member of International Medical Associations;. Since 1951, theUniversity has been training medical personnel for countries of the EasternEurope, China and Mongolia, and since 1961 it has been training students fromother countries of Asia, Africa and Latin America. At present, there are about3400 foreign students in the Kharkiv National Medical University who study atthe Preparatory Department, Medical, Nursing and Dental Faculties, undergopostgraduate and clinical post-graduate (residency) courses as well asprofessional probation at departments of the University in Dental, therapy, orthopedics, surgery, oncology, urology, psychiatry, ophthalmology, obstetrics and gynecology,as well as other medical specialties. The University has trained over 5000specialists for 86 states of Europe, Asia, Latin America, Middle Eastcountries. Among them there are 3 Doctors and 70 Candidates of Medical Science,about 200 clinical post-graduates (residents).
The history of the higher medical school inKharkiv is more than 200 years long and closely connected with the history of V. N. Karazin Kharkiv National University,because it sprang from its Medical Faculty. The University was founded in 1805,a decree about its foundation was signed by the Russian Tsar Alexander I,and the first Statutes of the University were approved at that time.In the 19th century, widely known doctorsand scientists taught at the medical faculty of the university and worked inpractical medicine. It was them who, for the first time in the Russian Empire,performed operations of ovariotomy, total resection of the stomach, operationson the open heart, as well as made significant scientific discoveries. In 1887,a special building was erected for the anatomical theatre of the Medical Faculty(now it houses the Department of Human Anatomy of our higher school); in 1896,four independent University clinics were built, namely: therapeutic, surgical,obstetrical and ophthalmological.In 1910, the Kharkov Medical Society, whichwas created on the initiative of professors of the Medical faculty, founded theWomen’s Medical Institute, where higher education was given to women.In 1920 the Medical Faculty of KharkivUniversity was united with the Women’s Medical Institute, and Kharkiv MedicalAcademy was founded; one year later the latter was given another name: KharkivMedical Institute. Among its teachers there were a lot of outstandingpedagogues and scientists; streets of the City of Kharkiv were named after someof them. These are: physiologist Danilevsky V.Ya., surgeon Trinkler N.P.,anatomist Vorobyov V.P., ophthalmologist Girschman L.L., therapeutistFrankovsky V.A.Many research institutes, hospitals andclinics were founded on initiatives of lecturers of KhNMU. These are, inparticular, the Institute of General and Emergency Surgery, Malaya Institute ofTherapy, Shapoval Regional Clinical Centre of Urology and Nephrology, etc. Theybecame the basis for scientific and medical work of our University Departmentsin these fields.In 1951, the University started training offoreign students. By now, the University has trained more than 3,600specialists for different countries of the world.In 1994, by a Decision of the Cabinet ofMinisters of Ukraine, Kharkiv Medical Institute served as the basis forfounding Kharkiv State Medical University; the latter received the highest 4thcategory by results of its accreditation and fully justifies it today. In 2007our University received the National status. The university ranks 10021 out of 11,000universities in the world. The University takes the 26th general place and the5th place among higher medical educational establishments of Ukraine in thescientometrical database SCOPUS. It ranks 47th among Ukrainian highereducational establishments by UNESCO“TOP 200 ”. In 2015, the Order of Honourand Silver Diploma by the rating “Golden Fortune” were awarded to theUniversity. KhNMU became a laureate of the rating of higher educationalestablishments “Ukraine-2000”.In 2001, Silver Diploma by the VII InternationalRating “Golden Fortune” in the nomination “The Third Millennium Quality” wasawarded to the staff of the University.In 2010, the University won an honorarytitle “Leader of Modern Education” at the International Exhibition “ModernEducation of Ukraine”; in 2011-2012 – “Leader of National Education” at theInternational Exhibitions “Education and Career - 2011” and “Education andCareer - 2012”.The University has a complex of modernbuildings to provide the teaching process, and 5 hostels. All the students ofthe graduate and post-graduate stages of training are provided with hostels.The University has 65 departments. Thedepartments are equipped with modern classrooms and have all the opportunitiesfor high-quality training of students.The Departments, which provide the trainingfor the 1st – 3rd year students, are located in 4 buildings of the University.The Departments, which provide teaching clinical subjects, are located at theScientific-Practical Medical Centre of KhNMU, Ukrainian Research and PracticalMedical Centre of Obstetrics, Gynaecology and Reproductology, Institute ofOccupational Hygiene and Occupational Diseases of KhNMU, Ukrainian Institute ofClinical Genetics, University Dental Centre of KhNMU, 9 regional, 10 city and 5departmental medical units. The Educational-Scientific Centre of the Universityis equipped with classrooms for phantom techniques of education.KhNMU is a member of the InternationalAssociation of Universities (under the aegis of UNESCO) since 1998; it is addedto the register of medical universities of the World Health Organization(Avicenna Directories).Theforeign partners, who have concluded contracts for cooperation with ouruniversity, include: Belgorod State University, Kursk State Medical University,Novosibirsk State Medical University, Samara State Medical University (RussianFederation); Vilnius University (Republic of Lithuania), Otto von GuerickeMagdeburg University (Federal Republic of Germany), Poznan University ofMedical Sciences (Poland), Institute of Physiology of the Academy of Sciencesof the Czech Republic, Tajik State Medical University(Tajik Republic), Yeditepe University (Turkish Republic), and others.Twenty-eight workers of the University are members of 66 international medicalassociations